Thursday, June 14, 2007

My office in the castle














I really am working in a castle this summer. It's not exactly in the state it was with Sisi and Franz Josef (I think that's the guy) lived here, but it's pretty darn cool. There are tall windows and doors, lots of long passage ways, a couple of towers, multiple courtyards, and ornate molding. I've gotten lost a number of times. The Hapsburgs had the window situation right (lots of them), but it must have been chilly in the winter. Thus far it's been HOT here, which I guess is a nice experience after Alaska, but there seems to be little air conditioning in this country. I'm getting good use (finally) out of my summer clothes.

Here are some photos of the castle, including its church (across the street) and of my office. I share it with Dorothy, who is from Kendallville, IN originally but now lives in Norway, Heidi, from southern England (but she studies in Iceland), Fabian, from Bern, Switzerland (but he's lived all over Europe, now Netherlands), Shovon, from northern India, Gargely, from Budapest, Hungary, and Andries, from Germany and the Netherlands. Quite a nice crowd!

Then Asian-ish pagoda thing was Emperess Elisabeth (aka Sisi)'s breakfast room.

They are putting new stones in the front of the schloss, at the entrace way, to make it like it used to be (that's the construction). So there are a lot of construction guys working out front, who are bronzed and wear little clothing (yes, it is hot, but...). My favorite is the guy who wears a t-shirt and speedo--seriously!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home